The Student News Site of Everett High School, Everett MA

The Crimson Times

The Crimson Times

The Crimson Times

Follow us on Twitter

Janelle Monáe’s mellow, sensual vibes provide perfect soundtrack for summer

Victoria Mação 
The album’s reggae-tinged lead single, “Lipstick Lover,” gives us a strong impression of the album’s fun, hedonistic vibes.

With the summer of 2023 beating the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association’s 174-year climate record for the warmest summer by far, singer and actress Janelle Monáe’s response is by far the best after her five-year hiatus. Monáe’s latest studio album “The Age of Pleasure” broke all kinds of human body temperature records. “The Age of Pleasure” is not what you would expect from Monáe given her string of eccentricity and futuristic elements used in albums such as “Dirty Computer,” “The ArchAndroid,” “The Electric Lady” and “Metropolis.” 

“The Age of Pleasure” is a sensual and mellow album perfect for the summer. It’s the type of album that you play at a relaxed pool party or at a beach where the sky is always in sunset mode.  Monáe fuses elements of hip hop, reggae and Afro-beat and gives each fusion that sensual 70s retro vibe. Her album is very easy to listen to and she hides a lot of sensual messages throughout the songs that don’t take much listening to hear. The messages aren’t outwardly vulgar or vain, which to some is a relief. 

In “The Age of Pleasure,” each song segues into one another. Every transition is simply a work of art and makes the album flow like a lazy river. Monáe’s second song, “Champagne S**t,” seamlessly transitions to “Black Sugar Beach,” transforming the former’s hip hop vibe into Afro-beats. “Phenomenal (featuring Doechii)” maintains the Afro-beats used in “Black Sugar Beach” but slows down into the next song. Along with Doechii, the album features Sean Kuti & Egypt 80, iconic 90s actress Nia Long, Amaarae, reggae legend Sister Nancy and Jamaican icon Grace Jones, who also just came off a feature on Beyoncé’s latest album, Renaissance.

Before listening to the album, I immediately knew it would be another Monáe masterclass. “The Age of Pleasure” was a surprise to me because I had no idea it would have a mellow, sensual vibe to it. My favorite song off of the album was “Only Have Eyes 42″ because of it’s effortless beach romance vibe incorporated by Monáe’s soulful voice and reggae instrumental. “The Age of Pleasure” is one of my favorite albums of 2023 and it may just be yours too.