The Student News Site of Everett High School, Everett MA

The Crimson Times

The Crimson Times

The Crimson Times

Follow us on Twitter

New songs from Girl in Red may broaden general audience but are letdown to longtime fans

Alice Andrade

Girl in Red’s newest album was released on April 12.  With the intention of getting her fans ready for what is about to come, she published two of the main songs from this new album, “Doing it again baby” and “Too much.” 

After listening carefully and analyzing the published songs I can say that I am honestly disappointed with her work.  Most of my disappointment comes from the lyrics of the song “Doing it again baby” with my best judgment it is safe to say that she honestly lacked the lyrics. 

Her songs are beautiful, the stories presented in them is what really makes it catchy and interesting since the beat is pretty much the same for every song. The song’s name plus the beat and words were just not it. Boring is the only word that can describe it for me. The song “Too much” on the other hand was nicely produced, the lyrics makes sense, the vibe that girl in red usually gives is there, and honestly this song is one of those that makes you want to put it on replay and listen to it for the whole day. 

The song “Too much” has been carrying the whole album on its back. I believe that has been going through pretty much all of her fans’ heads. 

Girl in Red produces songs about love and mental health. All of the songs she has published so far have been written by her. According to her, all Girl in Red songs are supposed to be relatable for her, or else she just can’t perform it. Ringheim, is very active on social media, often posting funny content of herself, songs, memes made by her fans etc. She is known as a symbol of queer identification on the online platform TikTok, and became an idol for the LGBTQ+ community, especially the lesbian community. 

Many Girl in Red songs feature homosexual relationships, making her songs a bit hard for the listeners outside of the LGBTQ+ community to relate; but nowadays it seems like her songs have been going through some changes, making it more and more easy for people of all sexual orientations and  backgrounds to enjoy her tunes. 

Marie Ulven Ringheim, most commonly known as Girl in Red, is a Norwegian indie pop singer, songwriter and record producer.

Ringheim started to compose songs when she was 14 years old with the only purpose of distracting herself from school and all the drama any 14 years old has going on in their life. When she was 17, she decided that she wanted more from life than a boring traditional Norwegian life; she wanted to be a singer and that was the time she started to publish her songs. 

If you have never listened to her, this is your moment to start. Her work is amazing and in my opinion she is a better version of Olivia Rodrigo.

View Comments (1)